Saturday, March 25, 2006

All you who sleep tonight

All you who sleep tonight
Far from the ones you love,
No hand to left or right,
And emptiness above-

Know that you aren't alone.
The whole world shares your tears,
Some for two nights or one,
And some for all their years


~ Vikram Seth

14 comments:

Harish Suryanarayana said...

Homesick are we ? Look over the horizon . Be happy and step forward .

Jake said...

seth is a good fellow.

Gayathri Chandrashekar said...

Seth's poem is nice..yeah childhood never return but we still yearn to get those divine days...

Anonymous said...

yes , i know i am an angel, you can thank me later ! :D

the Monk said...

yeah, he really is good, I enjoyed a suitable boy...

Ramya said...

Lovely poem. Never read much of Seth though.
The saddest part about staying away from home is that, you are constantly changing and soon you find yourself not speaking to your parents, siblings or old friends as much; and there is nothing you can do about it.

N said...

@ all

I adore seth!!perhaps because everything he says relates to life around me or my life..Or perhaps he is a genius whose verses touch all aspects of life of a commoner..

@mrl
very true,I know how little I tell my parents or siblings and it is long that i wrote to my old friends...and it is also true that,try if you may,but you cannot help losing touch and there is not much you can do about it...Perhaps you are moving into a diferent world,a world of your own and
people from the past become shadows of memory in this new world..

N said...

@ anitha
thanks a lot angel,but I guess you are more of a bitch..(you sang that song so many times that whenever I think of you I can recollect only the first line when it goes"I am a bitch....",you never sang the remaining in tune anyways..

Freespirit said...

Love the poem and since I'm all teary after watching Crash, shed a few on reading it. I agree that home will never be the same and you tend to drift away from loved ones but I really find solace in the idea of having a home to go to when everything's done and being welcomed like it was just yesterday you'd left.

N said...

@ freespirit
hmm.. perhaps I should look at it that way too..

@harish
When I look over the horizon,I am all tear eyed and hence cannot see anything beyond...But not that there is a lack of happiness in life

Ashes are gone, they blogged here said...

Sorry.... but who is this?


Nice poem by seth. Even though I stay away from home, I make sure I see my family once in a while to reduce the strength of nostalgia, if any, both mine and theirs.

kay said...

i'm homesick too.

Camphor said...

Seth's beauty lies in his simplicity ... it's because he hits the emotions bang on the spot that you can relate, and his poetry more so than his prose.

Darn, I think I'll get some Seth. :)

Anonymous said...

A lovely one! I needed this now!! :(